Paul Plakas’ Pita Pizzas
Whole wheat pita
Jarred pizza sauce
2 oz Low fat deli meat (turkey, ham, chicken), or any leftover meat you have available
Your choice of any: chopped mushrooms, diced bell peppers, chopped onion, pineapple chunks (about 4 tbsp in total)
1 oz Shredded mozzarella, cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 tblsp Crumbled Feta cheese
• Pre-heat oven to 375°F
• Spread a thin layer (about 2 tbsp) of the jarred pizza sauce over each pita.
• Top each pita with your choice of meat, and a tablespoon each of your choice of fruit/vegetable.
• Sprinkle cheese over each pita.
• Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
1 lb. lean ground beef (ground sirloin is best)
2 oz Feta cheese
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3 tbsp diced onions
3 tbsp. barbecue sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
Whole grain hamburger buns
Your choice of vegetables: lettuce leafs, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, slices of bell peppers.
Mustard and/or ketchup
• Preheat barbecue grill to high setting.
• Combine all hamburger ingredients in a bowl. Mix gently.
• Form patties. (about 4)
• Spray grill rack with cooking spray. Grill burgers about 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until done. Do not squeeze the burgers while they cook.
• Serve on buns with your choices of vegetables and mustard and/or ketchup
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup skim milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
¼ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tbsp dried parsley
½ tsp pepper
• Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
• Cut chicken into strips.
• Mix mustard and milk in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine rest of ingredients.
• Dip each chicken strip, one at a time, into milk, then dredge in coating mixture, making sure to coat evenly.
• Place on baking sheet and bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until chicken is thoroughly cooked and coating is golden brown, turning once mid-way.
Simple Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
Per ¼ cup of mustard, add 1 tsp of honey and mix well.
1 tbsp butter
2/3 cup minced onions
7 slices turkey bacon, chopped
1 cup finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen sweet green peas
1 can (14 oz/380 mL) 2% evaporated milk
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese
1 cup packed shredded 4-cheese blend
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups uncooked whole wheat macaroni
• You will need a deep, 10-inch, oven-safe non-stick skillet. Melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and chopped bacon. .
• Cook slowly, stirring often, until bacon is lightly browned and onions are golden. This will take a good 10 minutes. Start cooking the macaroni.
• Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until tender. Stir in peas until heated through
• Preheat broiler. In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, flour and dry mustard. Add to bacon and veggies in skillet. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and has thickened.
• Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 of the cheddar and 3/4 of the 4-cheese blend. Stir until cheeses are melted. Add pepper. Add well-drained macaroni and mix until well-coated with sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheddar and remaining 4-cheese blend over top.
• Place skillet under broiler until cheeses are melted and lightly browned.